U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

229. Do I need a specific license from OFAC to send U.S.-origin food or medicine to Syria?


No. You may send U.S.-origin food or medicine to Syria without a specific license from OFAC. The Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (“BIS”), which maintains jurisdiction over the export of most items to Syria, does not require a license for the export of U.S.-origin food and most medicine to Syria. For further guidance regarding the exportation of items to Syria, including a list of such items, please review the BIS Syria Web page, or contact BIS by phone at (202) 482-4252.