Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Rough Diamond Trade Controls. They are useful quick reference tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The link below sends the user to the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws (January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR THE Rough Diamond Trade Controls
The Rough Diamond Trade Controls represent the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of executive orders issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 13312 - Executive Order Implementing the Clean Diamond Trade Act (Effective Date - July 30, 2003)
- Clean Diamond Trade Act, 19 U.S.C. §§ 3901-3913
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1601-1651
- Section 5 of the United Nations Participation Act of 1945 (UNPA), 22 U.S.C. § 287c
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 592 - Rough Diamonds Control Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 83 FR 28370-18 - Amendment to the Rough Diamonds Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. part 592
- 73 FR 29433-08 - Amendment to the requirements for the importation and exportation statistics
- 71 FR 16042-06 - Libyan Sanctions Regulations; Angola (UNITA) Sanctions Regulations, Rough Diamonds (Liberia) Sanctions Regulations - Removal of sanctions programs
- 69 FR 56936-03 - Revision to implement Executive Order 13312