Sign up for Hong Kong-Related Sanctions e-mail updates.
IMPORTANT ADVISORIES AND INFORMATION
- Hong Kong Business Advisory (July 16, 2021)
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The links below send the user to OFAC's FAQ pages.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws (January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Hong Kong-Related Sanctions. Certain activities related to the Hong Kong-Related Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
- Apply for an OFAC License Online - Authorization from OFAC to engage in a transaction that otherwise would be prohibited.
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Hong Kong-Related Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to the Hong Kong-Related Sanctions.
- Licenses for Legal Fees and Costs - Guidance on the Release of Limited Amounts of Blocked Funds for Payment of Legal Fees and Costs Incurred in Challenging the Blocking of U.S. Persons in Administrative or Civil Proceedings
- Entities Owned By Blocked Persons - Guidance On Entities Owned By Persons Whose Property And Interests In Property Are Blocked
REPORTS TO THE CONGRESS
OFAC occasionally transmits reports to the Congress regarding Hong Kong-Related Sanctions.
- Report Pursuant to Section 5(b) of the Hong Kong Autonomy Act (February 2022)
- Report Pursuant to Section 5(b) of the Hong Kong Autonomy Act (May 2021)
- Report Pursuant to Section 5(b) of the Hong Kong Autonomy Act (December 2020)
Legal Framework for Hong Kong-Related Sanctions
The Hong Kong-Related Sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of an executive order issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register.
- 13936 The President’s Executive Order on Hong Kong Normalization (Effective Date - July 14, 2020)
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1601-1651
- Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act of 2019 (HKHRDA)
- Hong Kong Autonomy Act, H.R. 7440 (Public Law No. 116-149) (HKAA)
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 585 - Hong Kong-Related Sanctions Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 87 FR 78484-22 - Publication of Humanitarian Sanctions Regulations Amendment and General Licenses (Nongovernmental Organizations, Agricultural, and Medicine)
- 87 FR 78470-22 - Publication of United States Government and International Organizations Official Business Sanctions Regulations Amendment and General Licenses
- 86 FR 3793-21 - Hong Kong-Related Sanctions Regulations