Sign up for Balkans-Related Sanctions e-mail updates.
Sanctions Brochures are an overview of OFAC's regulations with regard to the Balkans-Related Sanctions. They are useful quick reference tools.
Frequently Asked Questions
OFAC has compiled hundreds of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about its sanctions programs and related policies. The link below sends the user to the entire list of OFAC's FAQs.
OFAC issues interpretive guidance on specific issues related to the sanctions programs it administers. These interpretations of OFAC policy are sometimes published in response to a public request for guidance or may be released proactively by OFAC in order to address a complex topic.
- Guidance on the Provision of Certain Services Relating to the Requirements of U.S. Sanctions Laws (January 12, 2017)
- Index of Interpretative Guidance
Applying for a Specific OFAC License
It may be in your and the U.S. government’s interest to authorize particular economic activity related to the Balkans-Related Sanctions. Certain activities related to the Balkans-Related Sanctions may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Visit the link below to apply for an OFAC license.
- Apply for an OFAC License Online - Authorization from OFAC to engage in a transaction that otherwise would be prohibited.
OFAC issues general licenses in order to authorize activities that would otherwise be prohibited with regard to the Western Balkans. General licenses allow all US persons to engage in the activity described in the general license without needing to apply for a specific license.
- Western Balkans General License (No. 1) - Legal Representation in Matters Pending before the International Criminal Tribunal the former Yugoslavia
Guidance on OFAC Licensing Policy
Certain activities related to the Western Balkans may be allowed if they are licensed by OFAC. Below OFAC has issued guidance and statements on specific licensing policies as they relate to the Balkans-Related Sanctions.
- Licenses for Legal Fees and Costs - Guidance on the Release of Limited Amounts of Blocked Funds for Payment of Legal Fees and Costs Incurred in Challenging the Blocking of U.S. Persons in Administrative or Civil Proceedings
- Entities Owned By Blocked Persons - Guidance On Entities Owned By Persons Whose Property And Interests In Property Are Blocked
LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR Balkans-RELATED SANCTIONS
The Balkans-Related Sanctions program represents the implementation of multiple legal authorities. Some of these authorities are in the form of executive orders issued by the President. Other authorities are public laws (statutes) passed by The Congress. These authorities are further codified by OFAC in its regulations which are published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Modifications to these regulations are posted in the Federal Register. In addition to all of these authorities, OFAC may also implement United Nations Security Council Resolutions (UNSCRs) with regard to the Balkans-Related Sanctions.
- 14033 Blocking Property and Suspending Entry into the United States of Certain Persons Contributing to the Destabilizing Situation in the Western Balkans (June 8, 2021)
- 13304 Termination of Emergencies With Respect to Yugoslavia and Modification of Executive Order 13219 of June 26, 2001
- 13219 Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (Effective Date - June 27, 2001)
- International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1701-1706
- National Emergencies Act (NEA), 50 U.S.C. §§ 1601-1651
Code of Federal Regulations
- 31 CFR Part 588 - Western Balkans Stabilization Regulations
Federal Register Notices
- 88 FR 25491-23 - Publication of Corrections in the Western Balkans Stabilization Regulations and General License (Nongovernmental Organizations)
- 87 FR 78484-22 - Publication of Humanitarian Sanctions Regulations Amendment and General Licenses (Nongovernmental Organizations, Agricultural, and Medicine)
- 87 FR 58983-22 - Western Balkans Stabilization Regulations
- 76 FR 38002-11 - Final rule containing the Western Balkans Stabilization Regulations
- 76 FR 38000-11 - Removal of the sanctions pertaining to the former Federal Republic of Yugoslavia
- 71 FR 29251-06 - Revisions to IEEPA made by the Combating Terrorism Financing Act of 2005
United Nations Security Council Resolutions
- 1244 - Determined to resolve the grave humanitarian situation in Kosovo, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, and to provide for the safe and free return of all refugees and displaced persons to their homes. (10 June 1999)