U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

723. Do air carriers or vessel operators need to obtain specific licenses from OFAC to provide services?


No. A general license authorizes persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction to provide carrier services by vessel or aircraft to, from, or within Cuba, in connection with authorized travel, without the need for a specific license from OFAC. For a complete description of what the OFAC general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.572(a)(2).

However, while no additional license is required from OFAC, the export or reexport of certain vessels or aircraft providing carrier services under § 515.572(a)(2) requires separate authorization from BIS. For a complete description of BIS’s regulatory requirements, see BIS’s Cuba webpage.

In addition, persons providing carrier services may still need to secure regulatory approvals from other concerned U.S. government agencies, including the Department of Transportation’s Office of the Secretary and the Federal Aviation Administration, and the Department of Homeland Security.

Date Released
June 4, 2019