Last Updated: 04/06/2022
List of Foreign Financial Institutions Subject to Correspondent Account or Payable-Through Account Sanctions (CAPTA List).
This publication by Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is designed as a reference tool providing actual notice of OFAC actions with respect to foreign financial institutions (FFIs) for which the opening or maintaining of a correspondent account or a payable-through account is prohibited or subject to one or more restrictions or strict conditions. Upon a finding that an FFI meets one or more of the criteria set forth in one of the authorities listed below, certain restrictions or strict conditions may be imposed, including prohibitions on the opening or maintaining of a correspondent account or a payable-through account for such an FFI. Upon the imposition of such prohibitions or strict conditions, OFAC will place the name and other relevant identifiers of the FFI on the CAPTA List. The CAPTA List also will specify the applicable prohibition or strict condition(s) to be imposed on the opening or maintaining of a correspondent account or a payable-through account.
The CAPTA List contains identifying information of FFIs for which the opening or maintaining of a correspondent account or a payable-through account is prohibited or is subject to one or more strict conditions pursuant to the authorities listed below.
Please note that, at this time, the CAPTA List will only be used to identify FFIs subject to correspondent account or payable-through account sanctions pursuant to the following authorities:
- Section 510.210 of the North Korea Sanctions Regulations, 31 CFR part 510.
- Section 5 of the Ukraine Freedom Support Act, as amended by section 226 of the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act of 2017, Public Law 115-44.
- Sections 1244, 1245, and 1247 of the Iran Freedom and Counter-Proliferation Act of 2012, Public Law 112-239.
- Sections 561.201, 561.203, and 561.204 of the Iranian Financial Sanctions Regulations, 31 CFR part 561.
- Section 566.201 of the Hizballah Financial Sanctions Regulations, 31 CFR part 566.
- Sections 2 and 6 of Executive Order 13846 of August 6, 2018, “Reimposing Certain Sanctions With Regard to Iran”
- Directive 2 under Executive Order 14024 of April 15, 2021, “Blocking Property With Respect To Specified Harmful Foreign Activities of the Government of the Russian Federation”
The CAPTA List may be expanded in the future to identify FFIs subject to correspondent account or payable-through account sanctions pursuant to authorities other than those listed above.
FFIs may be subject to different OFAC restrictions depending on the sanctions program under which they were targeted. Some FFIs on the CAPTA List may be subject to other non-blocking sanctions measures, such as those imposed by virtue of identification on OFAC’s NS-MBS List or other OFAC-administered lists. The CAPTA List does not include FFIs listed on OFAC’s Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List. For more information about the sanctions that may apply to an FFI, please consult OFAC’s Sanctions List Search tool, available at https://sanctionssearch.ofac.treas.gov/.
The CAPTA List is not part of the Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) List. Information that appears on the CAPTA list will be included in the data formats associated with the Consolidated Sanctions List.
Search OFAC's Sanctions Lists (Including the CAPTA List)
Complete CAPTA List:
Changes to the CAPTA List:
How to Download a Data Formatted Version of the CAPTA List:
To download a data formatted (e.g. XML, CSV) version of the CAPTA List, please see the Consolidated Sanctions List page. The CAPTA List data is included with all of OFAC's other non-SDN lists in the Consolidated list.